Sunday, April 8, 2012



DIY Christianity

In this world of 3-letter agencies where there’s an acronym for everything from diseases to text messages, surely you've seen the initials “DIY” being used for “Do It Yourself.”

One day, I felt the Spirit stressing upon me the importance of imparting what He's gifted me with, rather than me, one man, attempting the impossible task of serve masses of people who felt in need of an ordained minister to do something they perceived as :spiritual” or “holy” - or for which they perceived themselves as inadequate or unworthy. I recognized early in my faith-walk that I was a part of God's Kingdom of kings and priests. That's why, before I ever felt led to attend Bible college or was ever even ordained, I baptized my kids in the bathtub when they asked me to and prayed with people at the drop of a hat – and carried hats! I would get out of bed on Sunday mornings with a sense of urgency as I got ready to attend church services. After all, there were going to be people in attendance looking for something I had found and I had to give it away. I often described it as if I were a physician speeding off to the hospital.

We're living in the day of the ordinary, NOT the day of the ordained. God seems to be raising up an army of Christ-Followers and Whosever Will's who are willing to do the work of the ministry themselves. Let's face it, statistically, congregations are getting smaller and older, seminary enrollment is shrinking and the sheer numbers of Believers meeting in homes and restaurants is on the increase. People are doing things in hoes the way they did hundreds of years ago: Home Schooling, Home Food Preparation, Home Defense, even Home Funerals are becoming popular again.

As I've mentioned in previous writings, of the hundreds of messages God has had me broadcast over the past 13 years, the number one most-read message – hands down – is the one on “Blessing Your home.” I was part of a home blessing just a few days ago and will take part I another one, along with two business facilities, before the end of the month.

Whether it's blessing your own home, baptizing your own kids, or dedicating your own children, YOU have all the power and authority to do the work of the ministry... without an ordained minister! After all, YOU are an ordained minister. Yes, YOU!

Just yesterday, I spoke with a young man who had served as part of a Marine Recon team in Iraq. His was a difficult job, going in first, killing people. He confessed that, had not not been for the Scripture he had memorized and his relationship with the Lord, he would be suffering like so many of his friends (he estimates 40% of his Marine buddies are using Chrystal Meth now). He added how, despite being the youngest Marine, the others would seek him out to talk and cry at two in the morning. I said, “You were their Workplace Chaplain!” He smiled agreeably, “Yes, I guess I was.”

The ONLY time I found the word “ordained” used in the New Testament is when it refers to Jesus (Ats 10:42), our High Priest. The word “ordain” is used four times in the New Testament, none having to do with an individual being placed in a church office.

In I Peter 4:11, we read these instructions: “If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.”

In I Corinthians, Paul says to the Greeks, “ Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant...”

Later, he writes in I Corinthians 6:3-10, “We give no offense in anything, that our ministry may not be blamed. But in all things we commend ourselves as ministers of God: in much patience, in tribulations, in needs, in distresses, in stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in sleeplessness, in fastings; by purity, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Spirit, by sincere love, by the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armor of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, by honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report; as deceivers, and yet true; as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and behold we live; as chastened, and yet not killed; as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.”

Sound like many ordained ministers YOU know? How about any rank and file Believers?

I know, with all my heart, there are men AND WOMEN who are reading this now for whom these words will confirm what the Spirit has ALREADY been saying to you. Whether you want to start a Simple Church, baptize a friend, bless your home or business, or dedicate your children, if your spirt bears witness with what you're reading here, let's talk!

I'm here to help. Drop me an E-Mail at miketummillo@me.com. You can remain anonymous.

Every blessing,
Michael Tummillo
miketummillo@me.com

No comments:

Post a Comment