Thursday, July 26, 2012



LGBT's and friends play 'Chicken' with Chick-fil-A... and lose!

In an interview with the Baptist Press, Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy was asked whether the company has an official position against marriage equality.

His response? “Well, guilty as charged… We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.”

That's when the firestorm began. Apparently, Cathy's remarks left a bad taste in the mouths of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) crowd as well as those who support them. The company was lambasted by Boston's Mayor who promised to stop any attempt by Chick-fil-A to enter the city (Good luck with that). Then, the Jim Henson Company (The Muppets?!! Say it isn't so!) spoke out against Chick-fil-A and ended its partnership with the company.

With all the stuff going on in the world right now – really serious stuff that's taking a toll on human lives, property and finances – these people seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time and energy protesting a chicken restaurant!

I have three words for them: Get a life! Doesn't the enemy ALWAYS wind up shooting himself in the foot? I mean, in the grand scheme of things, there MUST be something more substantial anybody can cry about besides their sexual orientation. I'd say the same thing if a bunch of straight womanizers, or an army of so-called “Cougars,” were protesting. Maybe school teachers who seduce their students should stop eating there. Sandusky, it's your turn!

What does who-you-get-naked-with have to do with fast food?

Am I missing something?

Sigh.

There's an old expression attributed to the great showman P.T. Barnum of Barnum & Bailey's Circus. It goes like this: “I don't care what they say about me, just make sure they spell my name right!”

Gee, kinda makes anyone engaged in self-promotion – a cause, a product, their own talents - to start spreading rumors about themselves. Cathy should start writing letters of thanks to the LGBT's, thanking them for all the free press! This story's got legs, people... CHICKEN legs!

I was in Austin, Texas yesterday, attending the last of eight sessions of a HAM Radio course I've been taking. I stopped at Chick-fil-A, just as I had before the previous seven sessions. The place was packed, as usual, the two drive-thru lanes wrapped around the building. The place was clean. The staff was clean-cut, friendly, knowledgable, as always. I couldn't help but think – in light of the recent protests against them – how, even if I were gay, I'd still be eating there. Great food! As I sat at my booth, books, notepads and wrappers all over the place, a fresh-faced Employee approached me, smiling, and asked if I'd like more tea. I declined, even though I greatly appreciated his kind gesture.

Many years ago, I felt strongly compelled to ask several successful Christian men what it was like to be wealthy and Christian. So, I sent a letter to the President of WalMart (Sam Walton's successor, David Glass) who phoned me at home, the President of Chick-fil-A (S. Truett Cathy, Dan's father) who sent me an autographed copy of his popular book “It's Easier to Succeed than to Fail” along with a hand-written note, and another local philanthropist who spent 2 hours with me after I stopped by his company unannounced.

As a Workplace Chaplain, I recommend the elder Cathy's book – even after all these years. It's motivating and thought-provoking. Every Christian with a job, or who owns a business, can all learn a great deal from this man (go to Amazon.com or click http://amzn.com/0840790309).

One last thing: to the LGBT folks, whether you know it or not, God loves you. He sent his Son Jesus to die for your sins, just as He did my own. I'm NOT talkin' Religion here... I'm referring to a very REAL person who has your best interests at heart. Also, as a 25-year marketing guru, if you want to win the hearts and minds of Americans of all stripes, you won't win them by protesting chicken restaurants. You'll win them by your philanthropic causes, the things you do individually and corporately to reach out to the brotherhood of man. For starters, you might want to read Cathy's book. He's a self-made billionaire. You, too, can learn a great deal from him and his methods.

Every blessing,
Michael Tummillo
Founder, The Church @ Work


1 comment:

  1. http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2012/07/barr-chickfila-customers-deserve-cancer-130073.html

    ReplyDelete