Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Blessed are the Mask-Wearers!

I've written at length regarding the many physical miracles I've been privileged to have been involved with, including my own. Whether I was the one who ministered, served as part of a team, or simply witnessed or even heard about it later, I have no doubt we serve a God who wants very much to use His people to minister healing to others.

Remember, Jesus never commanded His disciples to pray for the sick. No, He told us to HEAL them. Bear in mind, the healing ministry is only difficult when WE attempt to do the healing rather than serve as the vessel for Christ in us by His Holy Spirit.

If I had to select one certain kind of miracle I've seen much more than any others, that would have to be the healing of emotional pain. Most of you have seen it before; an individual is receiving prayer when tears start rolling down their cheeks. Men, women, elderly, teenagers, too, they are receiving a touch from God and their emotions are getting the best of them. Personally, I've seen some unbelievable pain manifested during these moments, tears pooling on the table or between one's feet, a grown man crying out to a long-deceased father, a woman burying her head and trembling violently.

We are surrounded by individuals who are hurting emotionally. From sexual abuse to verbal abuse, physical abuse to PTSD (22 U.S. military veterans commit suicide every day), it seems to me it would be more difficult to find someone who's NOT carrying emotional baggage than it would be to find someone who is. All we have to do is look behind the masks people are wearing in order to cope with life, gain acceptance and approval, fit in, get promoted. 

Though the following do not apply to every circumstance, here are a few of the most common masks I've found people hiding behind during ministry:

Music
Pulpits
Muscles
Tattoos
Humor
Money
Intellect
Anger
Attitude
Timidity
Athletic ability
Good looks
Religion
Sexual Preference
Sexual promiscuity
Career success
Toughness

Even as I wrote those down, the faces flashed through my mind of the many individuals who were hiding behind those masks. I can still see their sobbing shoulders, their swollen eyes, their snotting noses. I can recall their newfound joy, their laughter, the smell of either their cologne or body odor as they embraced me afterward. 

They were set free. 

Jesus did that. 

Jesus, the Healer.

In every case, the tipping point came when they finally acknowledged their need to forgive those who had hurt them. For many people, what I've referred to as a mask is actually a crutch. Some might even say Jesus is a crutch. Those who would make such claim apparently haven't experienced Him. He's real, as real as you and me. If you don't know Jesus in that way, get to know Him! 

Are YOU wearing a mask? If so, Jesus wants to heal you, too. Haven't you carried that burden long enough? This is NOT a dress rehearsal; we get one shot at this life. Don't do it without Jesus.

Every blessing,
Michael Tummillo
Founder, The Church @ Work



No comments:

Post a Comment