Sunday, June 2, 2013

Have you ever prayed against bad weather? You should!

One evening, while my wife and I were remodeling our home, the TV was on in another room and we heard a severe weather alert; a super cell was creeping toward Arlington, Texas. I returned to my work, swinging my hammer, all the while attempting to shake that still small voice telling me to rebuke the storm.

I ignored it.

After the third time of feeling led to declare peace to that storm, many miles away and lighting up the distant sky, I put down my hammer and told my wife I was being led to pray in that manner. She dropped her tools, too, and followed me through the house toward the door. As we crossed the room in front of the TV, we could see the weather report, a giant, red blob moving steadily toward Arlington, a town she was born and raised in and had relatives living there and in which I had lived 14 years, ministered there and still had many friends. 

We were moved with compassion.

We sat in our lawn chairs in the darkness, the cool wind blowing hard as lightning lit up the sky over the trees many miles away. Afterward, we were overjoyed as we re-entered the house and saw that the massive red blob nearing Arlington had suddenly shrunk, the weather man announcing with some bewilderment the sudden, almost-instant cancellation of the tornado warning!

Last year, I found myself praying against a tornado when I saw a warning on the TV for the town where my son lived in an apartment complex with his wife and their new baby. He had lost cell phone communication with her and sped home to find downed trees, destroyed cars and trucks, emergency vehicles... but his family's unit was untouched except for a small scratch on her car.

I could continue with similar personal testimonies. Quite a few. One might ask, "Who does he think he is that he would dare pray against a tornado?" I will respond with the same answer I give to those who ask that question in regard to the ministry of divine healing: "It's only difficult if I were to think I have anything to do with it." I know better than to think I could do anything without the power of the Spirit of God (Romans 8:11).

You see, it was Jesus - the One who calmed the storms, healed the sick and performed many miracles - who said, "...he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father," (John 14:12).


Jesus gave His first disciples the authority to carry out His will here on earth, but they weren't the only ones; He also gave ALL His disciples for ALL time the authority to do the works He did, and more... even calming tornadic activity as the Spirit leads.


Sadly, far too few "Believers" actually BELIEVE these things are even possible. Hosea 4:6 tells us, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge." Instead, they wring their hands during every weather alert, fearful and intimidated, even though, as 2 Timothy 1:7 declares, "God has not given us the Spirit of Fear, but of POWER, of LOVE and of a Sound Mind" (emphasis mine).

Jesus said He came as an example. When He calmed the storm on the Sea of Galilee, I contend He was setting another example. Didn't the Father tell Adam to "take dominion"? Don't we have authority over "all creeping things" and doesn't a tornado "creep" across the countryside, wreaking havoc? Folks, we are engaged in warfare. When Death and Destruction are unleashed against us, we have been provided with weapons that are not carnal, but they are mighty through God. It's high-time we appropriated the power we've been given and exercise our authority, in Jesus' Name. 

Following is a declarative prayer you might feel led to pray if you are ever staring down a natural, life-threatening disaster:

Psalm 197:29 says, "He calmed the storm to a whisper and stilled the waves." So, it's by the authority of the Name of Jesus, and by His example, that we declare peace to this storm. Greater is He who is IN US than he who is in the world. This storm is just a nuisance intended to kill, steal and destroy but I say, according to God's Word (Isaiah 54:17), "no weapon formed against US will prosper!" By the Power of the Holy Spirit within us, we command you to stay away from us, our loved ones and our property! The Blood of Christ is against you! I break all your assignments now and I release the Peace of Christ in your place. Dissipate NOW, in Jesus' Name! AMEN!

One last thought... I've ministered in Moore, Oklahoma recently, site of the recent EF4 tornado. At 2 miles wide, over 200 mph, that twister stayed in place over 40 minutes... unheard of! Though the destruction was indescribable, I am continually amazed at how FEW people were lost there as a result; only 24. In my book, that was nothing short of miraculous! Together with a small group of Senior Citizens in a nursing home, we joined our prayers with those who were praying for Moore before the monster struck. My wife and I exercised our authority AGAIN last night as a dozen more tornadoes hit Oklahoma, not to mention a massive sinkhole opening up, large hail and flooding. 

Were you praying with us? If not, join us next time, no matter where you are!

Every blessing,
Michael Tummillo
Founder, The Church @ Work




1 comment:

  1. Consider this, the word spoken to the storm is a different dynamic than a word spoken about the storm. Jesus said, "who ever shall speak to this mountain, saying 'be removed'...." and it helps to get the words to speak from God... his words are so effective... we call this prophesying...and its heaven's way of doing things.

    ReplyDelete