Tuesday, April 2, 2013


Let's talk about curse words

Sh*t, H*ll and D*mn are NOT curse words. Matter o' fact, you might be amazed at how commonly the "dirty words" we cringe at (but never use ourselves, right?) were used throughout Scripture. Until I moved to this dairy town, for example, I never thought I'd hear the word "t*t" used as much as I do around here in everyday conversation, in reference to a part of a cow's anatomy, of course. Even my own sons, when they were little boys, knew more about where babies came from just by living in this country town than I knew till I was twenty-one. I was shocked the first time I heard my youngest talking about a nursing cat, until I realized he wasn't trying to shock me. He'd merely become a country boy.

The King James Bible reads, "Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ..."  (Philippians 3:8)

Dung? Some modern translations put it, "I consider them rubbish", "I count them as garbage", or even "filth."  Actually, though the Greek word being translated (skubalon) can also refer to literal animal dung, a colloquial equivalent might be something like "They're not worth a crap (or worse)." Don't gasp. Don't even laugh. I'm serious. You can find this kind of stuff all throughout Scripture. Frankly, the original languages of the Bible were none too squeamish about describing bodily fluids, functions and anatomical parts.

Personally, I'm not a "cussin'" person. That's probably because of a friend's mom who explained to me the reason my high school football coaches used so many "swear words" was because they weren't smart enough, or were too lazy, to find better words with which to express themselves. At that moment, I started looking at my coaches with pity rather than respect or fear. That perspective has served me well to this day.

Many years ago, I heard a black preacher named E.V. Hill speaking on Trinity Broadcasting Network with the Founders of TBN, Jan and Paul Crouch. He was talking about how he never realized how much cussin' went on in the black church until he got around Paul and Jan. He said, "We called it 'emphasis'."

As one who has served in church leadership, I could tell you stories that would curl your hair regarding cuss words and dirty jokes among church leaders. One that comes to mind was when I was sitting behind two church "leaders" and overheard one tell a joke to the other only moments before he took the pulpit. The joke included the "F" word, the queen mother of dirty words! I couldn't believe my ears.

Nevertheless, the words we most commonly refer to as curse words are merely sounds that come from our mouths. A REAL curse word can do insurmountable damage to the people Jesus died for.

What am I talking about? I'm referring to Word Curses. What are those? A Word Curse invokes harm or injury on someone by the very words that roll off our tongues. an ex-spouse, a neighbor, the President, for example. These curses even include those things we say about ourselves. Here's what the Bible says about the power of the spoken word: “With the fruit of a man’s mouth his stomach will be satisfied; he will be satisfied with the product of his lips. Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” (Proverbs 18: 20-21)

Yes, we will "eat the fruit" of what we say about ourselves as well as others. There is creative and destructive power in what we have to say. Some people grew up hearing bad things about themselves. If that's you, it may be time to reverse the curses spoken over you. Easter Sunday, my three-year old grandson was finished eating, patted his tummy and said to me, "I'm a fool, Grampa Mike!" I quickly took advantage of that teachable moment, teaching him the difference of "fool" and "full." If he is ever going to be a fool, I prefer he, like the apostle Paul, be a "fool for Christ."

How can you break these word curses spoken over your own life? You start by countering lies with truth. The Darkness has no power when Light is shining in. So, what is the TRUTH about you? Here are some Biblical examples:

“I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made,” (Psalm 139:14). All of Psalm 139 contains marvelous blessing you can pronounce upon yourself. Go on and personalize these verses.

“Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,” (Romans 8:1). Are you in Him? If he does not condemn you why do you condemn yourself?

“The Lord will accomplish what concerns me,” (Psalm 138:8). Ministry is not what you give to God but what He gives to you. If He wishes you to do something more for Him, He will bring it along and now that you are wiser, you will handle it better.

“Arise, shine; for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you,” (Isaiah 60:1). Turn that into a declaration for yourself!

“In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us,” (Ephesians 1:7). It’s all about His grace versus your works, isn’t it?

Though this is by no means an exhaustive teaching, I'm sure you get the picture. Since we are transformed by the renewing of our minds, start renewing your minds to what GOD says about you and start diluting what your environment may have said about you in the past. 

It's called "redemption." It's called walking in God's blessings rather than living a life that's cursed. 

Oh... I won't be surprised if some of those reading this now will eventually find their own language getting cleaned-up during the redemption process! As with smoking cigarettes or drinking, far too many Christians are concerned with how "clean" they appear outwardly and become frustrated when they slip-up or get caught. My advice? Stop trying. Will-power won't cut it. Besides, having the desire to cuss or smoke may impress people, but God's looking at the heart (1 Samuel 16:7). Grow in your relationship with Jesus by way of Prayer and Scripture reading. It's through this process lives are changed inside first, manifesting outwardly with time.

Every blessing,
Michael Tummillo
Founder, The Church @ Work

No comments:

Post a Comment