Monday, October 29, 2012


Prospering during Adversity
"The second son he named Ephraim and said, 'It is because God has made me fruitful in the land of my suffering.'" - Genesis 41:52
During his time as Prime Minister over Egypt, Joseph revealed some profound truths gained from his experiences during years of adversity. He named his first son, Manasseh for, he said, "God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father's household," (Gen. 41:51). His second son was named Ephraim because, "God has made me fruitful in the land of my suffering."
Notice how Joseph acknowledged God who "made me forget" and "made me fruitful" when he could have, just as easily, said "God who allowed my life to be filled with pain and sorrow."

Let's bear in mind, Jesus, who said He came as our example, also went through tribulation. He was tempted by Satan in the wilderness, He was betrayed by His friends, He was tortured and crucified. But "for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God," (Hebrews 12:2). Even He, during His agonizing death, exclaimed, " “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” (Matthew 27:46).
Whenever God takes us through the Land of Affliction, He will do two things during those trials: 1) He will bring such healing that we will be able to forget the pain, and 2) He will make us fruitful from the painful experiences.
In my own life, diagnosed with a painful, incurable spinal disease (from which I was healed), having experienced divorce, betrayal, bankruptcy, there came a time when I actually entertained the thought of suicide. Instead, I pressed in closer to Jesus through prayer, continually studying His Word, and fellowship with others whose lives I admired and chose to emulate. By doing so, Jesus became real to me - as real as anyone I've ever known. Together, ever since I've known Him - choosing to know Him rather than knowing mere manmade Religion - many lives have been touched, restored, and saved through my ministry. 

You see, God does not waste our afflictions if we allow Him the freedom to complete the work He began in us. In addition, Satan - who comes to Steal, Kill and Destroy - ALWAYS overplays his hand. God gives you beauty for ashes and resurrects things thought long-dead. His desire is to create virtue that remains during the times of testing so that He can bring us into the place of fruitfulness in the very area of our testing. He never promised to keep us from entering the Valley of Affliction, but He has promised to make us fruitful in the midst and because of them. He is the God who turns the Valley of Achor (trouble) into a door of hope (Hosea 2:15).
We must be mindful of this truth: Fruit does not grow on the mountain tops; it grows in the valleys. 
In the wise words of Rahm Emanuel, now Mayor of Chicago, "Never let a serious crisis go to waste." My interpretation of that snappy remark? Grow where you're planted. Whatever you're going through, go THROUGH it - don't let yourself stay there. After all, many people became millionaires during the Great Depression. Look for opportunities to grow - spiritually, emotionally and financially - and to help others.

If you, or someone you know, are in the Valley of Affliction, now is the time to press into Jesus. When the time comes to bring you out of this valley, He will heal your memories and bring fruit from this experience, just as He did with Joseph.
Every blessing,
Michael Tummillo
Founder, The Church @ Work 

No comments:

Post a Comment