Friday, May 25, 2012


A STORY FROM THE WORKPLACE MISSION FIELD

She was a high-powered executive, with a corporate office located in a ritzy north Dallas location. She'd built a vast business empire in the property industry.          
                              One of her properties was a185-unit mobile home park south of Dallas in no-man's land. I was that Park's Manager. 

Once monthly, I would travel to the corporate office for a meeting with this woman to go over my property's records, etc. The last time I was ever there, her pretty, 20-something daughter came in and handed her some papers. As the young lady turned to leave the room, two men entered, introducing themselves as Detective So-n-so and Detective What's-His-Name. The placed her daughter in handcuffs, read her rights and dragged her off. Stunned, when my boss asked the detectives why this was happening, she was told, "Check forgery."

In an instant, this tough business woman was transformed into a weak, pitiful, dazed and confused mother. 
She plopped down in her big leather chair and, with a blank stare, looked at me through tears and said, "What would you do, Mike?"  

I encouraged her. 
I prayed for her and her daughter. 

Not only was I never called to the corporate office again, but I was favored by my boss when an employee from another property called her to complain about the "revival" that was happening among her staff members at the various properties throughout the city. This was before eMail and texting so all my communications with coworkers were by phone and Fax, mostly questions they had when they needed some answers after a staff Bible study on their property they'd taken part in that day, or something they heard from their church's pulpit that didn't sit right with them. By phone, I was warned about this employee's complaint by a friendly coworker who said our boss would be calling me about the complaint. 

Her call came while we were still speaking. 
She greeted me, asked how things were going and said "good-bye." 
That was it. 
We weren't on the phone 30 seconds.

I know what it's like to allow the Holy Spirit to move within the workplace. 
I understand the challenges and the resistance that can arise as a result of lifting up the standard on the job. 
I can attest to the good and the bad - and the THRILLING results - 
of allowing Jesus Christ to be Lord of the place we spend the majority of our day. 
I have experienced the vitally important ministry of blending secular and sacred in the workforce 
and seeing lives changed as a result.

Does the Lord desire to work with and through YOU, too? 
I guarantee it! 
Are you available?

Every blessing,
Michael Tummillo
Founder, The Church @ Work (TCAW)
miketummillo@me.com

PLEASE SHARE THIS MESSAGE WITH OTHERS. 
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO RECEIVE THESE E-MAIL MESSAGES BY SENDING AN E-MAIL 
AND TYPING "WORK" IN YOUR SUBJECT BAR.

No comments:

Post a Comment