Saturday, September 7, 2013


The Wisdom of Accountability

Regardless of how old we are, when we haven't grasped the Wisdom of making one's self accountable to others, too often, we set ourselves up for shame, disgrace, heartbreak and worse.

For many years, I have embraced the habit of making myself accountable, perhaps to an extreme, but I don't believe that's actually possible, especially in these last and evil days. I actually WANT to make it known when I'm leaving, when I've arrived and when I'm headed home. Though my wife has never required that from me, I insist upon it. She's embraced the habit, too. In fact, when I have an eMail exchange with another woman, I am quick to "CC" my bride, too. This is my own personal conviction and it brings great peace to my life and serves to strengthen my relationship with my wife. For many years, I have made it my habit to either invite my wife to lunch if I were dining with a female, or somehow making it known who I'd be with, where and when. 

Have I always been this way? No! Though I am not about to expose my past sins, suffice it to say, I reaped as I sowed during those moments of deceptive "freedom" and the result was always painfully unnecessary and totally unfavorable, though it looked good at the time, I assure you. Yes, God's a Redeemer and has made beauty out of ashes on my behalf many times, but it was the sabotaging of my own life that has caused me the greatest unnecessary pain. I'm certain many would agree to similar experiences.

Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?"

Far too often, from well-meaning loved ones, and even ministers, I have heard the expression, "Just follow your heart!' Don't do it! BAD ADVICE! The heart always seems to seek after its own comfort and will choose the path of least resistance every time. We must resist the tendency to live our lives based upon emotions and that which makes us feel good or in control. 

On a personal level, I know what it's like to CHOOSE to remain accountable and flourish, and I also know what it's like to take advantage of my lack of accountability and do as I pleased, thinking I was free and enjoying life at the time. That "freedom" got me into trouble at times, producing long-lasting consequences for my own bone-headed mistakes. What I had defined as "fun" was little more than folly. 

Don't be led by your hearts. Instead, be led by the Spirit.

Acts 2:42 "And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers."

1) The Apostles' teaching? Yes, those sent into our lives to teach us. 

2) Fellowship? This refers to the gathering of The Church. The 'called out ones.' The Ekklesia. Two or three gathered in Jesus' Name.

3) The Breaking of Bread? Communion with God and with each other at our Love Feasts. 

4) Prayers? Prayer breeds intimacy with those we pray WITH, those we pray FOR and the One we pray TO. So, be careful who you pray with, but DO pray always and often.

By doing these four things, choosing to remain accountable to each other, we will become a stronger, more engaged and productive Church.


1 Thessalonians 5:11 "...encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing."


There are over fifty "one another" verses in the New Testament. The only way we can help each other, encourage one another, submit to one another, love one another, etc, is by remaining accountable to each other first. A prowling lion will go for the easiest target, those who have separated themselves from the herd. The old, weak, young and foolish will often stray from the rest. 



Are YOU making yourself accountable to anyone else? I believe every Follower of Christ should have a Paul, a Barnabas and a Timothy in their lives, someone they can learn FROM, someone they can grow WITH and someone they can TEACH. Not a bad way to live!



I hope that helps you. Please FORWARD this message to anyone you know who would benefit from increased accountability in their lives.



Every blessing,


Michael Tummillo


Founder, The Church @ Work

No comments:

Post a Comment