Sunday, August 26, 2012

The School as a Mission Field: But who is discipling WHOM?



The School as a Mission Field
But WHO is discipling WHOM?

Under the Hatch Amendment, parents have the right to be assured their children's beliefs and moral values are not undermined by what they are taught in school. For a number of years, in a big metropolitan city as well as a small town, I made sure my children went to school with an envelope containing the Hatch Amendment, instructing the teacher to give the letter to the Administrative Office to go in my children's files. A copy of this letter can be found at http://www.christianpatriot.com/hatch.htm

Turmoil in the ToyBox?
When my kids were growing up, there was no Internet. My only source for alternative news from achristian perspective was KVTT radio in Dallas, particularly a program called “Point of View with Marlin Maddoux.” I found the program rivoting. Spell-binding. I would repeat the things I'd heard with family and friends, only to have them look at me strangely. When Mel Gibon's “Conspiracy Theory” was released at the theaters, I could relate to the frustration his character was going through.

One day, Marlin had as his guest the author of a book called “Turmoil in the Toy Box.” The book described all the occultic and New Age mumbo-jumbo being presented to our kids though cartoons and toys, packaged with bright colors, funny voices, Smurfs, Li'l Ponies, Care Bears, Masters of the Universe, etc.

As one who has always been quite vocal about things I believed others should know, I had been sounding the alarm among all the parents in my realm of influence, loaning my copy of that dog-eared book to others. As I was leaving Sunday School Class one morning, our church Counselor - a young man named Frank – stopped me in the hall and pulled out a copy of that book. He had been asked to do a presentation to some group on the topic of New Age influences on our youth and wanted my opinion of the book! I've always seen that as my very first 1-man seminar.

Girls just wanna have fun
My daughter was about 7 at the time. We were coloring together at the kitchen table when she said, still coloring, “I wish they'd let me go back to recess with the other kids.”

OK, she had my attention. Still coloring, trying not to look alarmed, I inquired, “How come you aren't going to recess, honey?” She went on to explain how, while all the kids went outside to play, she and a small group of kids were ushered off the the school Counselor's office where they played games and took tests. Because I had become an informed parent, I asked if they ever made her close their eyes or listen to tapes. She said they had but I had taught them to pray to Jesus if anyone at school ever told them to close their eyes in class, even if only for a nap. So, that's what she did.

The next day, I contacted the school Principal and expressed my concerns. The school was to teach my children Reading, Riting and 'rithmatic in accordance with the Hatch Amendent, a copy of which should be on file in the Administration Office. 

Period. 

Paragraph. 

To his credit, the Principal was cordial and agreeable. The conversation lasted less than 2 minutes.

The next morning, before I even got out of bed, the phone rang. It was the school Counselor. She seemed purturbed, annoyed that I wanted my child pulled from the course. She said things such as, “But all the other parents...” and “But it's such an honor...” She attempted to convince me the classes were "just fine" and, as a Christian herself, and as a professional, she could vouch for their validity. Well, you can imagine how well that commentary was received. Needless to say, my daughter was pulled from the program.

Finally, she said, “Well, I'm a Christian, too...” That's when I interrupted, sternly, “Well, you should know better!”

My daughter returned to recess immediately.

When my youngest son came home with a letter from school, “congratulating” him on being recommended for the new Gifted and Talented program, I tossed the letter. When his teacher phoned the next evening, after I informed her he would not be attending, her first words were, “But all the OTHER parents are letting THEIR children attend...”

Sometimes people just say the wrong thing to the wrong person.

Needless to say, he never attended the class.

The Lotus position vs OUR position
On another occasion, my step-daughter was sitting in the lotus position in front of the TV. She called me over and said, excitedly, “This is what we learned in class.”

I maintained control and asked to see her book. History? Sure enough, the chapter on the lotus position began talking about Japan. “Japan is an island nation of 120 million people... blah, blah blah.” In no time, the subject deviated: "About 90 million people in Japan claim to be Buddhist practitioners or believers, etc.” The chapter went on to say, “Buddha was a holy man...”

I'd read enough. Whatever you think about Buddhism, it's NOT the religion I've chosen to raise my kids under. Again, the public school has my kids for the 3R's. That's all. 

One of those R's is NOT RELIGION! 

It wasn't long before the Rutherford Institute was asking us if we wanted to sue the school district. No, we just wanted that book removed. Soon, the Superintendent sent a FAX to all teachers instructing them to remove this book from their classrooms.

Problem solved? Not quite.

When Parent Night came around, in my step-daughter's classroom, there we saw that same book! Apparently, her teacher hadn't gotten the proverbial memo. A quick call to the Superintendent's office the next day resulted in another FAX broadcasted to all teachers stating, in no uncertain terms, “Any teacher with a copy of this book in their classroom will be terminated immediately.”

Something to that effect.

That was easy, folks. A school district of 63,000, the eighth largest in the Great State of Texas vs one Christian family.

And we won.

As Edmund Burke said, “All it takes for evil to prosper is for good people to do nothing.”

My personal guarantee: If we do nothing, nothing is guaranteed to change. So, DO SOMETHING!

Christian Kids: Armed & Dangerousm, Spiritually
We must arm our kids, teaching them that resisting an evil presence in their room is as foremost as avoiding strangers on the street. If not us, their parents, who?
Guided imagery, which introduces the concept of the  "spirit guide," is taking place within America's school systems. Why would we need that when we have the Holy Spirit – the same Spirit who raised Jesus from the dead (Romans 8:11) living within us?
By the way, there's a reason He is referred to as the HOLY Spirit, distinguishing Him from those spirits that are UN-holy.
In this man's opinion, in general, public schools are New Age indoctrination centers. Once the "elite" students are pegged, these little leaders of tomorrow are fed a steady diet of well-disguised, one-world, anti-Christian, anti-nationalistic, self-loving, liberal, tree-hugging, mamby-pamby rubbish. Frankly, most who are reading this were part of this program in one way or another. 
Just like me.
Have you heard of Napolean Hill?
The legendary Napoleon Hill, author of "Think and Grow Rich," which sold millions nad millions of copies, was a counselor to two presidents and a friend of the richest men of the 20th century. He spent 20 years compiling the case histories and money-making methods contained in this book and approximately every motivational speaker out there will tell you what a great book it is.
In one section of the book, Hill describes the conversations he held with his "Master Mind" group which included many deceased leaders from the pages of history, which he commonly called upon. At first, these counselors were invited. In time, they came when they were unexpected and uninvited. Ultimately, the man who said, "Whatever the human mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve," was tormented by the very spirit guides over which he concept he had control. According to his own children, Hill was hearing from his unwelcome Spirit Guides till he died. Millions have read this book and applied his "success" techniques. Before my encounter with Jesus Christ, I was among these readers. But that master Mind stuff is where it got too strange for me, even though a very prosperous friend of mine gave me the book telling me, "If you're ready for success, the retort will pop out at you from every page."
Sure, buddy. I've since enlightened quite a few people in the workplace whose employers insisted upon the reading of this "classic."
Napoleon Hill said he followed the habit of reshaping his own character, by trying to imitate the nine men (Emerson, Paine, Edison, Darwin, Lincoln, Burbank, Napoleon, Ford, and Carnegie) whose lives and life-works had been most impressive to him. And every night, over a long period of years, held an imaginary Council meeting with this group whom he called his "Invisible Counselors." He claimed that knowledge came from them that he was not able to get from just thinking and said "In these imaginary council meeting I call on my cabinet members for the knowledge I wished to contribute, addressing myself to each member in audible words....".
After some months of this nightly procedure, Hill says he "was astounded by the discovery that these imaginary figures became, apparently real". Each of these nine men developed individual characteristics, which surprised me. For example, Lincoln developed the habit of always being late, then walking around in solemn parade. When he came, he walked very slowly, with his hands clasped behind him, and once in a while, he would stop as he passed, and rest his hand, momentarily, upon my shoulder...Burbank and Paine often indulged in witty repartee which seemed, at times, to shock the other members of the cabinet. One night Paine suggested that I prepare a lecture on "The Age of Reason," and deliver it from the pulpit of a church which I formerly attended. Many around the table laughed heartily at the suggestion. Not Napoleon! He drew his mouth down at the corners and groaned so loudly that all turned and looked at him with amazement. [Napoleon Hill. Think and Grow Rich. Chapter 14. The Sixth Sense. Pages 314-316. ]
Now either Hill was a lunatic, or these were not "imaginary" figures at all as Hill tried to convince himself and others that they were. As Christian author Dave Hunt said in The Classic Case of Napoleon Hill, “By 1967, when Hill published Grow Rich With Peace of Mind he had stopped talking to an "imaginary cabinet" and was talking with actual unseen beings. So Hill's journey into communication with the spirit realm (i.e. demons)  apparently began at least as early as 1937 and continued for at least 30 years.
Hill claimed he was suddenly confronted in his study by an unexpected visitor from another dimension who, in a voice that “sounded like chimes of great music,” informed Hill he had been “under the guidance of the Great School” for years and had been chosen by them to give the formula of success, the “Supreme Secret,” to the world: that “anything the human mind can believe, the human mind can achieve.” [Napoleon Hill and W. Clement Stone, Grow Rich With Peace of Mind. Ballantine Books. (1996). Page 201]
It gets weirder, but I won't bore ypu with the details. Suffice it to say, even in the classrooms, kids are being introduced to Spirit Guides whom they can call upon when the going gets tough. 

A Care Bear? 

A Li'l Pony? 

A White Rabbit? 

DUSO the Dolphin? 

Frank Peretti's best-seller “Piercing the Darkness” makes reference to a child whose cartoon unicorn becomes a bit too real and actually possesses the child, thoroughly disrupting her school and the community.
There you have it, friends. Another school year is just beginning. 

Are the kids ready (I'm NOT talking about school clothes)? 

Are YOU? 

Have you spoken with the teachers in your realm of influence? 

Within your church? 

Your family? 

How about that Hatch letter?

If you need encouragement, maybe some advice other than what I've shared here, just ask.

Every blessing,
Mnichael Tummillo
Founder, The Church @ Work

No comments:

Post a Comment